Saturday, August 23, 2008

hallo

hallo!
yesterday afternoon after we got all clean and showered, we went downtown berlin and walked around in addition to scouting out places we wanted to see. we walked into the humbolt universitz bookstore to browse and rested in one of the nearby parks.one of many! we took the train to a friend, anne, who is from tucson, az but has lived here with her husband since 2005 working for Campus Students for Christ. She made a wonderful dinner for us in addition to another American family that shes temporarily housing until thez find an apartment. Leslie and Matt, both of Chicago, are starting a new year long position here in Berlin working for CSC. We had great conversation about the German culture and learned about each others backgrounds...and our travels of course. Jodi and I found out that Anne is the aunt of a former TIU soccer player (josh neuman)..small world! i didnät know josh, but jodi and her brother eric do. ANYWAYS,jodi and i were super excited to find out about a church to attend sunday..tomorrow at noon. so we are going to meet anne, her niece(who is an au paire here, and leslie, matt and kids) tomorrow. we havenät been the whole 5.5wks besides all the cathedrals we visited and that one mass service in italian. i am very much looking forward to this.

today, we woke up and carb loaded of course and were on our way to meet a tour group in downtown berlin to see the concentration camp, sachsenhausen. we traveled about 45 min by train north of berlin and walked 20 min to get to the camp. i knew going into it, that it would be mentally and emotionally draining to learn and see the actual camp that thousands of communists, anti socialists, jews, and many others brutally suffered and died, but at the same time, i was very interested and desired to soak in the history. the holocaust has always interested me for some reason. anyways, in the end, i learned a ton and will explain more in person of what i learned and saw.

well, we decided to stay in berlin until monday, then we will depart for paris for my send off to go home wed! i cant believe that its here and 6 wks is almost done! i believe tonight, jodi and i are going to a pub crawl with a group from our hostel and i am excited to taste a few different beers that germany has to offer. miss you all!

sar

5 comments:

Kristen Redman said...

I loved Berlin! The history is just so amazing....I kno what you mean about the concentration camp what feel and see there is not something that is easily explained in a blog! I am sad for you that your time is ending but I am so excited that you are coming home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Safe travels!! Love you!

Jack Jackson said...

Ahhhh. German beer. Of course, each region has its own brew. Personally, I kinda took a liking to the unfiltered wheats (Heiferweizen) of Bavaria. Goot! Bien!

Anonymous said...

Pub Crawl, sounds like it will be alot of fun.. and I agree with the unfiltered beers those are quite good. Cant wait to hear about what you learned and experienced at the Concentration camps, it has always interested me as well.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear more about your experiences. Really looking forward to seeing you very very early Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Yea, Sarah! I can't believe your six wks are up!!! I'm coming home friday or saturday.....I hope you'll still be in macomb, homie ;)